Wizardry Proving Grounds
- Publication date
Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord
This version takes the disk images that were available on the Asimov archive (created by firstname.lastname@example.org) and modifies them to work properly on an Apple //e with an 80-column card or an Apple IIGS with a CFFA3000 card.
Video describing the changes: https://archive.org/details/AssemblyLinesPodcast56
Original changes from Snafaru
- Boltac's inventory has been reset as it was out-of-the-box.
- An empty *ROSTER*.
- On level 6, a message has been restored as it was in the first releases with just one byte change. This inside joke/easter egg had been removed on subsequent releases.
Changes by Chris Torrence
- A bug was fixed where on an Apple //e with an 80-column card in the aux slot, Wizardry would incorrectly switch to 80-column mode and have spaces between each character. To fix this, memory location $B91D was changed from a JMP instruction ($6C) to a RTS ($60). This prevents Wizardry from attempting to switch out of 80-column mode, which was actually causing it to switch into 80-columns on an Apple //e.
- The disk image was also changed to remove the write-protect check. Following the technique of TommyGoog on the comp.sys.apple2 newsgroup, the Pascal p-code was changed by 1 byte on Track $22 Sector $0B at address $1E from $F6 to $00 (this is at byte 142110 in the disk image). According to Tommy, the code checking for write protection is just before the Copyright (C) notice. The change from $F6 to $00 changes the infinite loop to jump to the next instruction instead of to the previous instruction. This allows the disk image to work properly in emulators without needing to set the file permissions to locked.
Changes by John Brooks
For the Apple IIGS with a CFFA card (Slot 6 Disk II emu), need to enable IRQ to allow GS control panel access for CFFA disk image swapping.
The first patch is a 1-byte change to UCSD BIOS init which will enable interrupts (SEI -> CLI).
Offset $9F = $58
The 2nd patch fixes a bug in Apple Pascal 1.0 so it properly saves/restores the interrupt state across disk calls.
Offset $A4 = $08 $68 $29 $04 $8D $00 $AF $78 ...
$20 $E8 $AF $2A $28 $6A $AE $AD ...
$03 $B0 $2A $90 $01 $EA
- 2017-11-23 00:27:13
- ABBYY FineReader 11.0 (Extended OCR)
- Internet Archive HTML5 Uploader 1.6.3
ABBYY GZ Uplevel BACK
FULL TEXT Uplevel BACK
JPEG Uplevel BACK
PDF Uplevel BACK
SINGLE PAGE PROCESSED JP2 ZIP Uplevel BACK
STORAGE MEDIA IMAGE Uplevel BACK
Uploaded by Chris Torrence! on